The life of an order in Liftoff is characterized by the stages it passes through from shopping to delivery. We call these stages "events." For many order events (e.g. in the cart, submitted, email generated, etc), you can define special actions that trigger for the order if it meets certain conditions. Defining such actions is what we refer to as creating an order rule.
To create a rule, begin by navigating to Ecommerce > Rules in My Liftoff.
This article provides an overview of order rules, but not of every possible rule you could create. Because this tool allows for so much variety, we encourage you to experiment with it, see what all your options are, and see what the results look like!
To create a new rule, click the Add Rule button.
First, you'll need to decide the point at which an order should trigger the action you want. Liftoff gives you many to choose from.
- Order on product landing page -- Select this option if you want an action to occur when a customer visits the landing page for a product. A typical use of this event is to display a special message on the product page.
- Order in cart -- Select this option if you want an action to occur when a customer views their cart.
- Order at checkout -- Select this option if you want an action to occur during checkout. Specifically, the action occurs on the final step of the checkout process, just prior to order submission.
- Order submitted -- Select this option if you want an action to occur at the instant a customer submits their order for completion. This is the trigger to use when you want to set up an order approval rule; we'll talk about that later in this article.
- Order on submission confirmation page -- When a customer completes checkout and submits their order, they're taken to an order confirmation page. Select this event if you want an action (e.g. special messaging) to occur on this page.
- Order email being sent to customer -- When a customer completes checkout and submits their order, they're immediately sent an email notification to confirm the order. Other email notifications can be sent for various reasons. Select this event if you want an action to accompany one of these email notifications.
- Order approved -- This is a direct reference to an order approval rule / workflow. More discussion on this topic appears below.
Use this field to remind your other admins (or yourself!) what the purpose of this rule is. The description is internal only; it shows up in My Liftoff, but is not displayed to customers.
Remember above when it was mentioned that an order had to meet certain conditions for a rule to trigger? Well, these are those conditions.
You'll notice a couple of things about these IF conditions:
- They change depending upon which event you select above them (in other words, not all conditions are available for all events)
- You can select more than one IF condition, but beware:
All IF conditions must be met!
Feel free to select as many conditions as you need, but be careful to select ONLY the ones you need. All of them must be met in order for the rule to trigger!
This is where you define what actually happens when an event occurs and all conditions are met.
You'll notice that, just like with the IF conditions, the THEN actions available to you will change depending on what you select above them.
Although a variety of THEN actions are available, most combinations of events and IF conditions result in an action of providing a custom message to your customers.
If you configure a rule with a THEN action that displays a message, the message will be formatted automatically according to the theme you're using for your account site. However, Liftoff allows you to override the formatting and expand the power of the messaging by applying HTML markup within the message field!
If, for any reason, you need to approve orders -- all orders, certain types of orders, or anything else -- prior to fulfillment, you can create a rule to achieve that.
This is perhaps the most common use of this order rules tool set. Here's how you do it:
For any approval rule, you'll need to select the "Order submitted" event. The reason: As soon as a customer submits their order, Liftoff will halt the order and re-route it into an approval queue rather than passing it to the vendor(s) for fulfillment.
As always, you can create any Rule Description you'd like, including none at all.
Liftoff can halt all orders for approval ("Any order"), or halt only some orders depending on a combination of conditions. You're free to configure as many or as few conditions as you need, but remember: If you configure more than one, they'll all need to be met in order for Liftoff to catch and queue the order for approval.
In the "Amount" field for the "Order total is at least" condition, there's no need to enter a dollar sign. For round amounts (like "$10.00" represented as "10" in the example image above), you don't even need a decimal point!
For the "Order submitted by customer with custom field value" condition, you'll want to make sure that you've configured the custom customer field you need before creating the rule.
Finally, you'll select who should receive the email notification that an order has been placed and requires approval. "Send approval to user" generates an email to just one administrator; if you've designated more than one administrator as an order approver, make sure you create a user role for this purpose, assign all admin users to that role, and select the role here as your THEN action under "Send approval to user role."
Approving an order isn't dependent on the email your rule generates, so if you lose one of those emails, you aren't sunk. Navigating in My Liftoff to Orders > Pending Orders reveals the entire queue of pending orders awaiting approval, assuming you have the correct permissions to view and manage the queue. As soon as the rule above is triggered, the customer's order appears here in the Pending Orders area until an administrator deals with it.
Updated 2 months ago